Monday, June 22, 2009

Best Thai Restaurant in Virginia (maybe even Virginia/Maryland/DC area) - In Manassas????

I got dragged out to Manassas (which in my opinion, is to Virginia what New Jersey is to America - its armpit) for some bullshit wine and jazz festival. This was bullshit because:
1. I hate Jazz. Jazz should be limited to elevators and smoky bars where you can pick up women who used to date the rich and famous ten years back and have slipped down the societal ladder until they've finally had to come to terms with having to blow losers like you in exchange for some trinket you may or may not buy them. I shouldn't have to pay money to listen to Jazz. I hate the word Jazz. No four lettered word should be worth 29 points on Scrabble. But enough about it.
2. The wine festival was also bullshittical. I had drunk a bunch the previous night, and so I didn't want to get too drunk again, but I needn't have worried. Each tasting was a TEASPOONful. It sucked. I mean, you can't really taste wine if it evaporates before it reaches the back of your throat. Plus these were wines from Virginia, which weren't all that great to start off. (They had a jalapeno wine. I mean, come on. Give the drink some respect.)

Anyways, I agreed to go because I liked the people involved. So we drive all the way to freaking Man-asses on the worst roads ever (Virginia must be broke. First of all they are mighty stingy with their wine at their festivals, and they pave their roads only every time we have a world war), and then we hit old town Manassas.

To tell you the truth, old town manasses isn't bad. I mean, at least they've tried. Its a pretty enough place. I wouldn't say it's worth going for a day, but if you are in the area, do go and walk around a bit. After you go to...

Siam Classic.

I don't know if you like Thai food, but if you do, this is the best Thai food you can get in the area. I've eaten quite a bit of Thai food, but honestly, I've gotten so used to the usual (you know, green/yellow/red/penang curry, pad thai, pad prick, all that stuff), that I thought that that was pretty much it. Wrong.

The people (it's a husband and wife pair) that own the restaurant also do the cooking, and boy, does the lady cook up a storm. A lot of the stuff you'll get on the menu are somewhat unconventional (the kind of food that your mum would cook that you wouldn't get at a restaurant), but incredibly tasty. We had a dude who had spent a bunch of time in Thailand, and he swore it was the best thai food he'd had outside of Thailand.

Yeah, I know, you're thinking I'm building this WAY up, but try the place; you'd be surprised. Off the top of my head I'd say try the bird in a nest or the bangkok noodles. And DEFINITELY try the red bean dumpling and coconut ice cream dessert and thai coffee. Incredibly good. And one last thing. The spice comes on a 1-10, but you can ask for a 20 or more (which I wouldn't unless you're like my friend Erik who likes torturing his duodenum). 8 gives you solid heat but doesn't make you want to die.

And the people are really friendly. And the place is reasonable (15 or so per entree). I left a very very happy man...

No comments:

Post a Comment