Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A snake in hand is worth...


That's my palm. With a curled baby boa constrictor in it. Few points about this encounter:
1. They are really shy. Or maybe this one was sluggish because it had just eaten a mouse. (Fed to it dead by the owner, so it didn't have to kill it)
2. The boa goes by Igor or Eva, depending on whether its owner needs the company of a male or female. No, I did not look (well, I did, but I couldn't tell).
3. The snake was shedding big time.
4. Snake skin is a prime breeding ground for salmonella.
5. I was informed of this AFTER I handled the damn thing. I washed/rinsed/disinfected 3 times (my palm, not the snake), but I'm still feeling a little queasy about it.

I don't know what to think of pet snakes. I guess they're cool, but not this one. Non-threatening + salmonella infected + indeterminate sex = not-so-cool, in my book.

2 comments:

  1. eeek no kedar, why? leave these adventures to the young 'uns as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe... I probably should've. At least here the snake was a young 'un

    ReplyDelete