Sunday, July 12, 2009

Steve McNair, and now, Arturo Gatti?????



Oh no!!!! This is terrible news...

This is truly a sad day for boxing. Arturo Gatti, for those of you who don't know, was Welterweight champion of the world in the mid 90s. But it wasn't his champion status that makes him a hero in my eyes; it's his absolute honesty as a boxer. The guy was a true fighter. A bit wanting on technique, maybe. But what heart. And of course, what a jaw. It was made of concrete. I mean, this guy would. not. go. down.

You've got to see his fights against Mickey Ward - one of the most thrilling displays of boxing you will ever see. I was watching the fight (for the nth time) just last week. Even if you aren't a fan, go watch the clips and tell me if your hair isn't standing on end by the end of the fight. And here is a bit from the HBO special about the fight.

Steve McNair, killed by jealous/evil mistress.
Arturo Gatti, killed by jealous/evil girlfriend. (or atleast, suspected to have been killed by the woman)

I'm not absolving them of wrongdoing (what the hell was Steve McNair thinking??? This woman was barely 20, and he has 4 kids...), and I'm not saying all women associated with rich/famous sportsmen are evil. But this is really lousy. I'm all pissed off.

No comments:

Post a Comment