Monday, May 11, 2009

Star Trek - the Nimoy panegyric ed.

Verdict: Watch.

Even if you're not a trekkie (or perhaps especially if you aren't), this one is worth watching. Prequels are all the rage these days, and its nice to see a job reasonably well done. I somehow never got into Picard and Co. ,and while it is well known that Shatner was one hell of a dickhead on set, the crew (as dysfunctional as they were, and as awful the plot lines sometimes were) somehow made the show fun. And I think this movie does justice to the show, with the special effects on roids, of course.

Where the movie scores BIG time? The cast. Young Kirk is really good. He has a bunch of the little things that Shatner used to do (plus the attitude) totally down. Sylar from Heroes, Zack Quinto, as Spock is really good, but has a bit of an evil aura. Its probably because I've seen him decapitate a bunch of people on Heroes (whatever happened to the show in the end? I lost track), but I was waiting for him to go all evil and cap a bunch of Romulans.

You'd be surprised at how much Leonard Nimoy shows up in the movie (and I had to REALLY control my hands each time he showed up on screen). Great job. Uhura is HOT, McCoy is fantastic, and Chekov and Sulu (Harold from Harold and Kumar - again, was waiting for him to pop out a joint and smoke it in the movie) are good.

The one little disappointment for me was Simon Pegg as Scotty. I mean I LOVE Pegg, (have you seen Hot Fuzz?) but somehow it just didn't gel. Watch out for Winona Ryder in the movie. And Eric Bana :)

Finally, the movie is a little Spock centric, but hey, I'm not complaining. Oh, and don't think too much about the time warp around the black hole thing. Just go with the flow (or in this case, the space-time continuum).


Live Long and Prosper

1 comment:

  1. i had to look up panegyric.

    seriously, thank you for not dumbing it down.

    ReplyDelete