Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Recap of 2009

So you're wondering why this post is a month late?

Or maybe you aren't. Either way. January came and went, and I didn't feel like it or was too busy, or couldn't be arsed. That's it. Besides, who really cares, honestly. So without any further ado, here's what 2009 was like - more than anythings else, just to remind me about what the hell happened. I'm getting old and what-not...

1. Ate a huge square pizza while getting drunk on new year's eve (OK that's '08, but it crept into '09, so it counts).
2. Froze my butt off to watch Obama take the (mangled) Oath of Office. All downhill since then, eh, O-man?
3. Learned to make peace with my roommate's girlfriend's neutered dog humping its stuffed pillow non-stop (still wondering why they do it).
4. Got REE-JECted by an awesome Brit chick. One of many such rejects in 2009.
5. My granddad died when I was on the back 9 somewhere in Pennsylvania. That hurt for a long time. He was a good man.
6. Ate pig tongue. About as tasty as it sounds.
7. Saw some kick-ass concerts (and saw a girl get ejected for kicking someone's ass)
8. Killed mice and rats in and around the house. This was a continuing theme for '09.
9. Learned (with some dismay) that my nieces were learning to play the clarinet and flute. Not as dismayed as their parents though, I suspect.
10. Almost bought some pottery on the way to Gettysburg.
11. Almost died from mosquito bites at Chincoteague.
12. Played too much mini golf. Didn't get any better. Or worse.
13. Hiked on exactly 0.2 miles of the Appalachian Trail.
14. Had to ask 60 year old mother to help me make a campfire. Both me and my dad failed spectacularly; she did just fine.
15. Faced an epic meltdown in Vegas over being late for a flight (we weren't).
16. Dodged lightning at Bryce. Immediately followed by dodging hail, while eating soggy chutney-and-bhujia sandwiches.
17. Bought a pull-up bar to fight the flab. Briefly considered changing the name of the blog to Pullupyogi.
18. Walked.
19. Got the shits (bad) somewhere in the middle of the Solent. Learned that toilet splashback is a real risk when sailing in choppy waters on a challenger class yacht.
20. Held up an international flight on account of being late. Again.
21. Dressed like a 1920's newsboy and rode around DC in my Bianchi. Got featured in the local paper for my pains.
22. Dressed up as an R-rated fictional super-hero. People with a sense of humor were impressed. The rest can go screw themselves.
23. Got stuck in a ratty cabin in Upstate NY where nothing (fridge, oven, lights, toilet, heater) worked. Loads of alcohol helped soothe the pain.
24. Broke my lower control arm on a highway in rural PA in front of a 7-11. Helpful Indian (of course) shop owner helped sort out the mess.
25. Laughed uncontrollably when my friend wrecked his scooter in Nassau. Became probably the first idiot ever to ask for directions to the water when on an island.
26. Ate the most delicious mango this side of the Atlantic in a shed on the way to the Everglades. Stared down an alligator and ran like a girl when it moved.
27. Decided that East Coast road trip was less fun than West Coast road trip. Maybe traveling with cousin instead of lady friend had something to do with it.
28. Worked quite a bit.

Yep, that was about it. Overall, I'd say it was a quiet year. But thanks to a lot of really awesome people who I crossed paths with, it made it all good. I've shared lots of little stories with family and friends that made my life in '09, and continue to make my life in '10, truly happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment